Saturday, July 13, 2013

Taking a Stab at Recording....Again!

Obviously I was living in Fantasyland when I was certain I could keep a daily record of the food goings on in my kitchen. Life just keeps getting crazier and crazier. Many trips to see the grandchildren---an 8 hour drive. And, now we've purchased a small condo near them so we will have our own digs--all well and good, except the place needs some updating, so there will be more trips to oversee/do the sprucing up. Add in a trip to Oklahoma for a family reunion and a tent camping trip to the Tetons and Yellowstone and I foresee many days when activity in the kitchen will be nil.

So, as in the past, I am attempting to reduce my food inventory--most of it purchased at my guilty pleasure, a local Discount Grocery--small, tucked away in an inconspicuous locale. Such fun seeing what they might have on any given day and figuring out what to create with my purchases. Over two weeks ago I bought several beautiful bell peppers--orange and yellow. I used some but then we left town for 8 days and I was doubtful that the four remaining would be useable by the time I was back home. I needn't have worried. Even three days after our return home, they were perfect. So, tonight I decided to make stuffed peppers. It's not a favorite dish of ours so I pondered how to make it attractive to 'the hubs.' Didn't take much thinking: hot and spicy. Everything came from the DG. A pound of ground beef, a Utah onion, a can of extra-hot Rotel tomatoes, a cup of prepared Uncle Ben's brown rice, hot and spicy tomato sauce and grated Mexican blend cheese. There were 8 pepper halves and 'the hubs' ate 5 of them. I'm on a deprivation diet so didn't eat any of them. The 3 remaining will be lunch tomorrow. The unused rice will be added to a large pot of veggie beef soup I'm making to take to two friends who are dealing with health problems.

Speaking of the soup, I used 2 quarts of beef broth, 2 envelopes of dry onion soup mix, 2 cans of corn (one yellow, one white), 2 cans of green beans, 1 can of diced tomatoes, 2 pounds of carrots (10-cents per pound at the DG today!), Yukon Gold potatoes, and celery. All of the previously listed ingredients came from the DG. The beef was purchased elsewhere, as was the V-8 juice I'll add. Many cans came off the pantry shelves but I also purchased other items, so the shelves aren't looking bare yet.

What will be subtracted from the shelves tomorrow??

No comments:

Post a Comment