Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Slow Food Day Progresses to Asian Food Day

Yesterday (Mon., November 26) was a slow food day. I'd planned to bake bar cookies for the crew at the discount grocery but boring, although necessary, tasks got in the way---same story today. Maybe they'll get their treats tomorrow (will try to bake them tonight to avoid unexpected interruptions tomorrow).

Last night's dinner was sirloin steaks on the grill. Hubby took the tank for a fill-up so we are once again cooking with gas---well, he is. I actually do a good job of grilling but I don't remind him so I can get a night "off" from cooking. I did steam 2 small bags of a fresh cauliflower/broccoli combo and rustled up a batch of hashed brown potatoes (frozen). They were both from the DGS, and there's a little more room in the fridge/freezer now.

Tonight's dinner was a fusion of several Asian dishes: vegetable spring rolls, chicken-ginger mini-wontons and a Thai peanut stir-fry dish with rice noodles (all from the freezer and all from the DGS). My main guy is a big time carnivore, so I added some chicken to the stir-fry. It was from a bag of frozen pre-cooked fajita chicken with onions and red and green peppers. The bag said there were Mexican seasonings but, honestly, I couldn't taste them. But, after searing the taste buds right off my tongue with the Chinese hot mustard (made from a powder--very hot) that I drizzled over all my food, I couldn't taste much of anything---but my sinuses are certainly a lot clearer. To add bulk to the noodle dish I also added a can of stir-fry veggies and opened a little jar of sweet and sour sauce to cool off the hot mustard. So, 2 items off my selves but, unfortunately, that little jar of sauce will move into the fridge, for who knows how long?

I'm making some progress on depleting my over-stock of victuals, which is the point of keeping a record BUT I really thought I would be spending next to nothing on foodstuffs while trying to cook with what's on hand. That hasn't exactly been the case. I do think that, over all, food expenditures have decreased but are still more than I thought they would be. I think the problem is that I consider the DGS a treasure trove of goodies and if I see something I haven't seen before or haven't seen in a while and I know I love it, I have to buy it because who knows when or if it will show up there again. Trying to exercise restraint.

No comments:

Post a Comment